Saturday, July 19, 2008

Oh My Gosh! We've Got Skills!

Okay, this is the only time I am going to admit that I might have gone over the speed limit in my entire life. Honestly, I tried not to because I have this thing about breaking the law and well, then there is hyper miling. You know, using good driving habits to get great gas mileage. It does work.

Let me start over. Last night after working on the yard all afternoon, Chuk asks me to go out to eat with him. I'm covered in dust and pollen because I have been cleaning out the flowerbeds for the first time since hmmm........probably last year! I give him the "you've got to be kidding" look. He just grins as he stands there dripping with persperation and grass stains from head to toe.

An hour later we are on the way to La Madeline's to eat. As we are visiting I ask him if he paid one of our bills that is due that day and he says, "Nope, we'll go pay it after we eat." We continue to carry on about our different activities of the day as we finish up our dinner and then take a little dessert.

Not realizing the time, he says, "Hey, you want to go to Fry's to see if they have any of the Carol Burnett Show video's?" I don't realize the time either so I say, "Sure, let's go!"

So off we go to Fry's. We spend maybe twenty minutes looking around at the videos...can't find Carol Burnett so we pick up Stargate Atlantis Season 4 (waiting for this one for a year!) and then proceed to the appliances to look for a dishwasher since we are in the market for a new one. We must have spent at least 15 minutes there when all of the sudden Chuk asks, "What time is it?" I look at my watch and it is 8:40 which means most stores will be closed in 20 minutes. "Quick, let's check out so we can get to the Mall!"

We run to the checkout, a friend comes by to say hi, and as we are running and waving we say, "gotta go, see you later," (sorry Gregory!) and by the time we get out the door it is 8:43. You are probably wondering why this is such a big deal. Well......that bill that I asked him about earlier? It's due now and if we don't get to the Mall ASAP to pay it at the store, LATE FEES! So you can picture us as we climb in the car thinking okay, we can make it to the Mall with plenty of time to spare because it is only a short jaunt down the interstate. WRONG!!!

We have to go back to the house because we don't have the checkbook, get it and the bill and THEN head to the Mall. So here is the conversation.

Me: "Honey, I don't think you can make it."

Chuk: "Sure we can! You drive us home, I'll run in and grab the stuff, you turn the car around while I'm in the house, and then I'll jump in and you can drive us to the mall and let me out at the door. It'll save time."

Me (the sensible one): "There is no way we are going to get to the mall in 15 minutes if we have to go to the house first."

Chuk: "Sure we will. Step on it!"

Where there is a will there is a way....sigh..... You just can't tell this man any different.

So I'm driving as sensibly as I can. I make it home from Fry's in under 5 minutes, as Chuk is silently praying that the way will be open for us and we will be safe. Of course, I am not doing my hyper miling at this point. Starting out slow, coasting to stops...nope, not happening. I am searching the road for every opportunity to drive a clear path to home. I may, repeat, may have exceeded the speed limit by 5 miles a couple of times, but the amazing thing was that every light, every lane cleared when I needed it to.

So we make it to the house , I turn into the driveway with Chuk hanging onto the open passenger door, he jumps off and hoofs it into the house. I barely get the car turned around and he jumps back in. We have just done a driveby briefcase snatching!!! We are off and running again, down the road to the Mall. I kid you not, I'm being careful but now I really have to get around and through the traffic. It seems like everyone is out on the road . What can this mass of humanity be doing at 8:55 at night? Oh yeah, the new Batman movie is out.

Belive it or not, we have to stop at the light at the Mall at 8:59. We watch the clock move to 9:00. Drawing upon all the sensitivity I can, I look at him, how do I soften the moment?

Me (compassionate, caring, trying to keep the disappointment to a minimum): "Well, at least we tried, Honey."

Chuk (not the least bit worried and patting me on the back): "Don't worry, we'll make it"

Nothing stops this man. He can accomplish really weird things with his determination. I wish he would determine me into a new house!

We drive up to the side door of the store. It is 9:02. Chuk jumps out of the car and races to the door, opens it (Wow!) and races inside. I am flabbergasted! A moment later a security guard comes to lock it. How does my husband always do this? He is like a cat with nine lives. Nothing stops him or phases him when he is determined. After all, I'm thinking, it's just a bill. We can pay it tomorrow. My husband's motivation......he absolutely hates LATE FEES!

I wait for him. When he returns to the car, we quietly and slowly ease our way back toward the street. Suddenly we both look at each other and break out laughing. This was the most fun we've had on a date in weeks. Eat your heart out Dale Earnhardt, jr. We've got skills!

2 comments:

  1. That was nearly as much fun for me to read as it was for y'all to live it!!
    Thanks for posing it. It was nice to see so much of Dan and I in you and Chuk.
    Go Speed Racer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are rebel teenagers or something!!!! Bro Kub has lady luck by his side I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete